WASHINGTON – The Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) today awarded Adele with a Diamond certification recognizing more than 10 million U.S. sales of “21” (XL Recordings/Columbia, 2011) as part of the RIAA’s historic Gold & Platinum Program.
Cary Sherman, Chairman & CEO, RIAA said the following about the prestigious award:
“We are thrilled to honor Adele with an RIAA Diamond award marking her enormous ‘21’ sales success. Selling more than 10 million albums in the United States, in less than two years, is an achievement unparalleled by any other artist in the past decade, let alone just a few in all of history. Adele’s unique talent is a gift to music fans, and her success is certainly cause for a celebration of Diamond magnitude.”
Officially launched in 1958, the RIAA’s Gold & Platinum Program expanded in 1999 to include a Diamond award honoring U.S. sales of 10 million or more copies of an album or single. The list of more than 100 Diamond titles, across all genres of music, represent some of the best and most influential sound recordings in history. Diamond honors awarded to The Beatles, Garth Brooks, Mariah Carey, The Eagles, Eminem, Michael Jackson, Kid Rock, Led Zeppelin, Madonna, Santana, Bruce Springsteen, Shania Twain, Usher and more represent an audio almanac of the last 50+ years.
In addition to earning Diamond honors for her sophomore album “21,” Adele’s first record “19” (2008) is currently RIAA 2x multi-Platinum, while her digital single certifications represent more than 19 million song downloads sold in the U.S. spanning eight separate songs.
RIAA DIAMOND AWARD ANECDOTES:
• Adele is the only artist or band in the last decade to earn an RIAA Diamond award for a one disc album in less than two years.
* Double discs “Up” (Mercury Nashville) by Shania Twain’s and “Speakerboxxx/The Love Below” (So So Def) by Outkast certified Diamond in less than two years in 2003 and 2004 respectively. Each disc counted towards certification per official G&P Program rules. Adele’s milestone was reached with a one disc album.*
• The last time any artist certified a one disc album Diamond in less than two years was ‘N Sync for “No Strings Attached” (Jive) in 2000.
• During the past decade, some 20 albums have been first-time RIAA Diamond certified for more than 10 million in U.S. sales, and counting. Only five of those 20 were also released during the last decade.
• Adele is the only British or European female solo act in history to earn an RIAA Diamond award.
• Adele is the sixth female solo artist in Gold & Platinum Program history to earn a Diamond award in less than two years. She joins the ranks of other female Diamond acts Celine Dion, The Dixie Chicks, Whitney Houston, Alanis Morissette, Britney Spears, TLC and Shania Twain.
• Adele is the only British or European artist or band in RIAA Gold & Platinum Program history to earn a Diamond award in less than two years.
All RIAA certifications are calculated by Gelfand, Rennert & Feldman. Complete lists of all album, single, mastertone and video awards can be accessed at www.riaa.com.
The Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) is the trade organization that supports and promotes the creative and financial vitality of the major music companies. Its members comprise the most vibrant record industry in the world. RIAA® members create, manufacture and/or distribute approximately 85% of all legitimate recorded music produced and sold in the United States.
In support of this mission, the RIAA works to protect the intellectual property and First Amendment rights of artists and music labels; conduct consumer, industry and technical research; and monitor and review state and federal laws, regulations and policies. The RIAA® also certifies Gold®, Platinum®, Multi-Platinum™ and Diamond sales awards as well as Los Premios De Oro y Platino™, an award celebrating Latin music sales.
Contact: Jonathan Lamy Follow @LamyJ Cara Duckworth Follow @TweetCDuck Liz Kennedy Follow @LizSKennedy 202/775-0101