Last Updated: October 29, 2020
Collection of Information
Information You Provide Us
We collect information you provide directly to us. For example, you share information directly with us when you sign up for our newsletter, report a piracy issue, communicate with us via third-party platforms, participate in a survey or advocacy campaign, attend an in-person event, or otherwise communicate with us. The types of personal information we may collect include your name, email address, postal address, phone number, and any other information you choose to provide.
Information We Collect Automatically When You Interact with Us
When you access or use our Services or otherwise transact business with us, we automatically collect certain information, including:
- Device and Usage Information: We collect information about how you access our Services, including data about the device and network you use, such as your hardware model, operating system version, mobile network, IP address, unique device identifiers, and browser type. We also collect information about your activity on our Services, such as access times, pages viewed, links clicked, and the page you visited before navigating to our Services.
- Information Collected by Cookies and Similar Tracking Technologies: We (and our service providers) use tracking technologies, such as cookies and web beacons, to collect information about you. Cookies are small data files stored on your hard drive or in device memory that help us improve our Services and your experience, see which areas and features of our Services are popular, and count visits. Web beacons (also known as “pixel tags” or “clear GIFs”) are electronic images that we use on our Services and in our emails to help deliver cookies, count visits, and understand usage and campaign effectiveness. For more information about cookies and how to disable them, see the Your Choices section below.
Information We Collect from Other Sources
We obtain information from third-party sources. For example, we may collect information about you from identity verification services, credit bureaus, advertising networks, data analytics providers, social media, public registers, and mailing list providers.
Use of Information
We use the information we collect to:
- Provide, maintain, and improve our Services;
- Personalize and improve your experience on our Services;
- Send you technical notices, security alerts, and support and administrative messages;
- Respond to your comments and questions and provide customer service;
- Monitor and analyze trends, usage, and activities in connection with our Services;
- Personalize the advertisements you see on third-party platforms and websites (for more information, see the Advertising and Analytics section below);
- Detect, investigate, and prevent security incidents and other malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activity and protect the rights and property of RIAA, our members, and others;
- Debug to identify and repair errors in our Services;
- Comply with our legal and financial obligations; and
- Carry out any other purpose described to you at the time the information was collected.
Sharing of Information
We share the information we collect in the following circumstances or as otherwise described in this policy:
- We share personal information with vendors, service providers, and consultants that need access to personal information in order to perform services for us, such as companies that assist us with web hosting, analytics, and marketing and advertising.
- We may disclose personal information if we believe that disclosure is in accordance with, or required by, any applicable law or legal process, including lawful requests by public authorities to meet national security or law enforcement requirements.
- We may share personal information if we believe that your actions are inconsistent with our user agreements or policies, if we believe that you have violated the law, or if we believe it is necessary to protect the rights, property, and safety of RIAA, our members, our users, the public, or others.
- We may share personal information in connection with, or during negotiations concerning, any merger, sale of our assets, or acquisition of all or a portion of our operations by another entity.
- We share personal information with your consent or at your direction.
We also share aggregated or de-identified information that cannot reasonably be used to identify you.
Advertising and Analytics
Transfer of Information to the United States and Other Countries
We are headquartered in the United States. When you visit our websites or provide your personal information to us, you consent to the transfer of your information to the United States and other countries where we or our service providers may process your information. We will take steps to ensure that your personal information receives an adequate level of protection in the jurisdictions in which we process it.
Most web browsers are set to accept cookies by default. If you prefer, you can usually adjust your browser settings to remove or reject browser cookies. Please note that removing or rejecting cookies could affect the availability and functionality of our Services.
If we send any promotional emails, you will be able to opt out by following the instructions in those communications. If you opt out, we may still send you non-promotional emails, such as those about your account or our ongoing business relations.
The Sites are being made available to you for your non-commercial, informational purposes only. Although the information provided to you on Sites is obtained or compiled from sources we believe to be reliable, the information on the Sites is provided “as is” with no warranties of any kind. The RIAA does not warrant the accuracy, validity, timeliness, or completeness of any information or data provided herein, either expressly or impliedly, for any particular purpose and expressly disclaims any warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.
The Sites contains links to other sites. These links are provided as a convenience to you. The inclusion of these links is not an endorsement by the RIAA of those sites or the content of such sites. The RIAA has no control over such sites and accepts no responsibility for them.
Neither the RIAA, nor any of its affiliates, directors, members, officers, or employees, nor any third-party contributor or vendor will be liable or have any responsibility of any kind for any loss or damage that you incur in the event of any failure or interruption of any of the Sites, or resulting from the act or omission of any other party involved in making this site or the data contained therein available to you, or from any other cause relating to your access to, inability to access, or use of the Sites or these materials, whether or not the circumstances giving rise to such cause may have been within the control of RIAA or of any vendor or other third party providing content, software, or services support. In no event will RIAA, its affiliates, directors, members, officers, employees, or any such vendors or third parties be liable to you for any direct, special, indirect, consequential, incidental damages or any other damages of any kind even if RIAA or any other party has been advised of the possibility thereof.
You may not use any “deep link,” “page-scrape,” “robot,” or “spider” on the Sites, nor copy any of their content, without prior authorization. You may not alter transmission data or attempt to gain unauthorized access to any portion or feature of any of the Sites, or any other systems or networks connected to the Sites or to the RIAA server by illegitimate means.
All trademarks, trade names, service marks, and logos on this site (Marks) are the property of RIAA, its content providers, or other third parties.